A few weeks ago, I learned my friends Otto and Laura were going to be hosting Co+Cafe in their home!
Co+Cafe is a new project in Traverse City, Mi and it includes brunch cooked by local chefs!
They run on volunteers :) … (Go volunteer!)
Sarah Alexander, the creator of Co+Cafe explains so much better than me… (then scroll for the photos!) And keep an eye out for the next one..
“”WHAT IS IT? // A grassroots, community-centered benefit brunch hosted by a generous community member in their home and enjoyed by all. The meals are prepared by a local chef and served by volunteers with the most local ingredients possible. The goal is to make it possible for ALL people to come together around one (or maybe two) tables and enjoy some amazing local food together, plus we get to raise some cash for a Farmer Fund to help farmers afford hoophouses and to expand production and access to local foods in the Grand Traverse Region.
WHEN AND WHERE IS IT TAKING PLACE? // Pop-up brunch #2 is joyfully being hosted by Otto and Laura , November 13th rolling 9am to noon, or as long as limited supplies last. Smart commuting is encouraged!
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST? // Because you will be hosted and served by your fellow community volunteers, there is only a $10-$15 suggested donation per meal (cash or checks only). Just throw as much cash as you think your meal was worth into the jar on the table. One-hundred percent of profits (some of it will go to paying the local farmers for their goods) will be donated to the benefiting Farmer Fund.
WHO IS WELCOME? // Come one, come all! Because it is donation-based, all are welcome to join the Co+Cafe community table to enjoy the bounty this area has to offer. No menu for kiddos but accommodations can be made for their palates.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED? //
– Contact me to volunteer for a Co+Cafe brunch – a two-hour shift equals great fun and a complimentary breakfast.
– Please SHARE this with everyone you know! Forward this email on, find and share the event on Facebook, and stay tuned for the next Co+Cafe brunch.
– Would you like to host the next brunch at your place? We come in and do most of the work, and you get the excitement and fulfillment of hosting a community-enriching event right in your home.
– Do you have SUPPLIES you would like to donate to the event? We are working on stocking up ample amounts of all of those dinner party items – plates, cups, mugs, silverware, tables, chairs, tablecloths. Consider a purge of those items collecting dust and we will come and gladly pick them up.
This week’s Co+Cafe menu, masterfully prepared in collaboration with guest Chef Adam McMarlin of The Cooks’ House:
Biscuits with Mushroom and Sausage Gravy and a Poached Egg
French Toast with Caramelized Pumpkin and Maple Syrup and a Side of Bacon. Both menu items will be paired with your choice of Higher Grounds coffee, Light of Day Tea, or spiced Friske’s hot apple cider.
Also, new for this event:- Please bring a mug for yourself that you would like to use then leave behind as an addition to the Co+Cafe artillery.
– THANK YOU to Carter’s Compost for donating a few compost buckets to catch the compostables from our meal prep!
– THANK YOU also to Taste the Local Difference for certifying this event as a Certified Local Food Event! ” ~Sarah Alexander